While buying a T-shirt, you might wonder what’s those stitches on two rows doing there? Well, except for looking cool, they also play another vital role. These stitches allow your clothes to stretch up to a certain length without the stitches tearing. It gives flexibility to your clothes and allows free movements in every direction. These life-saving stitches are present not only in T-shirts but also in numerous other clothes, which need the flexibility to allow proper movement. So, how do sewists attain this kind of stitches? These type of stiches are done by Stitching machine. Here we will recommend you 9 Best coverstitch machine.
Well, it turns out, there are. These are cover stitch sewing . Sewists use these machines to produce professional trims on clothes. These trims not only provide flexibility to your clothes but also cover the unfinished edges of the fabric. It prevents loose threads from escaping from the fabric during the stitching process.
These types of stitches are suitable for people who sew on woolen or knitted clothes. Due to the trims preventing loose threads, the entire garment won’t just unravel while it is still under the development process. Due to its ability to make stretchable clothes, it is primarily used in children’s clothes, swimwear, joggers clothes, etc.
Why do we need a coverstitch machine? What are their uses?
The cover stitch machines create cover stitches, which are a variation of hems. Partly, they give the appearance of serger stitches, and partly they have the looks of two-three rows of stitches at the edges of the fabric. The serger stitches are at the back of the fabric, whereas these several rows of stitching are on the top of the fabric’s edges. Due to the presence of these, you can easily stretch your fabrics up to a certain length without tearing them. Also, they prevent any loose threads and lock them inside the cover stitches.
Cover stitches can have either two stitches or three stitches, depending upon the project requirement. Three stitches provide better flexibility to the fabrics, as compared to two stitches. So, for the construction of heavy fabrics, you should always use three needles for stitching.
The difference between using two or three needles is that three stitch lines appear on the fabric when we use three needles. Whereas, if we use two needles, only two stitch lines appear. Sewists most commonly use two needles for cover stitching because it’s the classic method of cover stitching. The look that we attain by using two needles is clean and smooth.
However, beginners should use a machine to combine a serger and a cover stitch machine. These machines are better options if it’s your first time. They are easy to use and help you in stitching perfect trims.
What is the need for having a coverstitch machine?
Just imagine wearing clothes without the double or triple hems protecting the edges. Only after a day or two of use, your clothes will start losing threads; and in no time, you’ll have just a piece of unstitched fabric. And if you try to stretch even a bit, you will end up tearing your entire garment. So, it’s crucial to have a cover stitch on your clothes so that you can wear them comfortably.
Several stitching projects require the use of a cover stitch machine. If you wish to work any of them, you will require one such machine.
These projects are as follows:
- Topstitch: Top stitches are the most common and basic stitches. Without these types of stitches, you cannot sew a long-lasting fabric. Either your fabric will develop frayed edges or lose its threads. To prevent this, sewists create top stitches. If you are stitching waists of clothes or stitching together denim, you will need top stitches to secure them properly. By creating the pattern of top stitches, you can prevent your clothes from developing frayed edges.
- Trimming and Lacing: Sewing elastics can be a tough job as holding them still during the process is quite hectic. Or we can miss some of the areas which are hard to reach and ultimately ruin the entire fabric. But worry not, cover stitch machines are here for the rescue. They can very well handle issues such as these. The most used stitch is the chain stitch, which allows you to easily add elastics to your fabric.
- Flat trimming: For better finishing of fabrics, cover stitch machines are the best option. They create reliable hems and prevent loose threads on the edges of fabrics. Cover stitch machines create strong hems and give a clean finishing to the fabric. Flat trims give an elegant and classic look to your fabrics. They have a straightforward design and are pretty easy to create too.
- Rolled trim: It is a relatively much smaller hem, but sewing it using a regular machine can be tricky. But cover stitch machines can easily create rolled trims. It uses a foot to sew folds of the rolled trims. It also helps in folding the hems as you keep on sewing the fabric.
- Trimming Rounds: When it is time for curved sewing areas in a fabric, it becomes quite a job. Sewists have to make sure that the fabric does not gather around together. While stitching the curved areas, You should keep the feed dog’s fabric to remain in control. For this purpose, you can use the twin needle technique, but a cover stitch machine seems to be the best option. It is because cover stitch machines make all these above tasks relatively easy to perform. You can also consult a guide for trimming so that you can develop smooth and uniform hems.
9 best coverstitch machine:
1. Brother 2340CV-
This machine is the best option for you if you are stepping into the world of sewing and stitching. Brother 2340CV is a cover stitch machine best for beginners. With this machine, you can sew both sides of the fabric at a single time. This machine combines the functions of a serger machine as well as a cover stitch machine. The machine comes with easily adjustable switches, which allow you to adjust the length of the stitch accordingly. You can experiment with various stitch lengths whenever you wish to by just switching on/off the dials. You can either work manually or use this machine’s automatic features to create elegant and durable stitches. The color-coded thread system enables you to create the perfect stitch. This machine is suitable for providing a perfect finish to your garments.
2. Janome 1000CPX-
This is a cover stitch machine by Janome. In comparison with other cover stitch machines, this one has more space. So you can place your fabric and other tools comfortably on it. Along with it, it also offers more space to sewists for altering needles with safety. This machine is for you if you are a professional sewer and love experimenting with your fabrics and stitches. It allows you to create stitches on varying types of fabrics. You can also switch between various stitching lengths using dials. The machine comes with a warranty period of 25 years. You can even stitch thick fabrics and heavy projects using this machine.
3. Juki MCS 1500-
This cover stitch machine by Juki also creates wonderful chain stitches. The machine uses three-needle for cover stitches, whereas four needles create chain stitches. Even if you are a beginner, you will have absolutely no issues while working with this machine. You will understand the whole mechanism in less than two or three chances, including both the cover stitch and the chain stitch. This machine is the best choice if you wish to give a professional touch to your clothes. It creates hems that give your clothes a showroom-like look and feel. This machine is perfectly suitable for sewing woolen, stretchable, and heavy fabrics. All in all, it is an excellent package under such an affordable price range.
4. Bernette b42-
This machine offers three varieties of cover stitches, on which you can work. It is effortless to use so that even beginners can operate it with much ease. This machine also allows you to create chain stitches. If you often work on large projects, this machine is perfect for you as it offers a vast working space. The machine offers color coding to work with various threads without getting confused between them efficiently. If your sewing work includes working on denim or cotton, you should go for this machine.
5. Singer 14T968DC-
This cover stitch machine by Singer is one of the top-cover stitch machines in the current market. It offers the ability to stitch two, three, four, and even five thread stitches. It creates clean and smooth hems to protect your clothes against untimely fraying and loose threads. If you love working on a wide variety of projects and fabrics, you are going to love this machine. It allows you to stitch various kinds of hems, stitches, decorative patterns, etc.
6. CoverPro 900CPX-
Combining the features of an industrial stitching machine and a regular stitching machine, Janome brings this easy-to-use cover stitch machine. Its double features give a professional touch to your fabrics. While working on heavy fabrics, you can easily adjust the pressure foot and manage them well. The threading system in this machine is two needles. Therefore, you can use this machine to give the perfect finishing look to your denim. Last but not least, this machine comes with a collection of stitches, from which you can choose accordingly.
7. Juki MO-735 –
The best thing about this cover stitch machine is that it offers you over 24 stitching options. Although they may confuse you a bit, it’s always good to have multiple options at your disposal. All these stitching options will make your experience more varying, and you’ll be able to experiment more with your fabrics. This machine is best for creating cover stitches for stretchable sports and swimwear. So if you like creating garments that are currently trending, this machine is the one for you. The pressure foot in this machine allows you to create perfect professional hems in your garments.
8. Singer 14T970C-
It is an improvised version of its previous version, 14T968DC. The significant difference is that it offers four more features, as compared to the previous version. This cover stitch machine by Singer allows you to choose among four stitching options. It allows you to create double-chain stitches and narrower cover stitches. All in all, this is a good option if you wish to give a market-like finish to your home stitched fabrics.
9. CoverPro 2000CPX-
This is a cover stitch machine by the famous brand Janome. It is a perfect combination of a serger machine and a cover stitch machine. Whether you wish to sew a hem or any decorative stitch, this machine does it all. Everyone loves this machine because it allows you to create market-level clothes by performing a regular stitching machine. Although, the machine does have some drawbacks. It does not cut the fabric; instead creates cover stitches. Also, its stitching speed is not much impressive.
What are the factors that you should consider while selecting a particular cover stitch machine?
Cover stitch machines are more like hybrid machines rather than being individual machines. They are a perfect combination of serger machines and regular home-stitching machines. Their primary job is to create decorative trims, cover-stitch the fabric’s edges, and provide a clean and smooth finishing to the clothes.
Above, we presented a list of some of the most sought-after cover stitch machines in terms of features, affordability, and market value. But apart from these factors, there are some other things you should keep in mind while buying a cover stitch machine. They are as follows:
- Cover stitch potential: Whenever out looking for a cover stitch machine to buy, always pay attention to the machine’s potential. Several machines offer only one or two threading options, which is OK but not great. Machines that offer multiple threading options are better, as they allow you more options for working. You can experiment with your fabrics with all these threading options. So, we advise you to buy a machine that provides more than two threading options.
- Thread system: For beginners, it cannot be obvious to distinguish between multiple threads. So, always go for a machine with a color-coded color-coded thread system. It makes your work easier and more comfortable.
- Stitching speed: For professional sewists, it is imperative to finish their projects within the assigned time limit. Once past the deadline, it becomes problematic for them. It is only possible if your cover stitch machine has a great stitching speed. So, they should always opt for faster machines.
On the other hand, if you work from home and only deal with smaller projects, speed is not much of a defining factor for you. You can work with a machine that has an average stitching speed.
So, speed is a differentiating factor that you should consider before buying a cover stitch machine.
- Pressure foot: When dealing with heavy fabrics like denim, etc., needles often break down. To avoid this breaking of needles, use an adjustable pressure foot. It allows you to create stitches on thick fabrics without the needles breaking.
- Stitch: Adjusting the length of stitches is extremely important during the stitching of fabrics. It directly affects the durability and quality of the garment. Therefore, if you wish to sew professional-level clothes, go for a machine with adjustable stitching lengths.
- Budget: One of the most factors to consider is your budget. No matter what features a machine provides, it is of no use if it doesn’t fit into your budget. First of all, decide on an exact figure you will be able to spend on your machine. And then go out looking for one.
At last, all we can provide you are suggestions and advice. It would be best if you held all the above factors before buying a cover stitch machine. Because once the money is spent, it won’t come back quickly. So spend it in the right place and on the right stuff.